Saturday, May 19, 2018

Ryan Kirk

Ryan Kirk is an author and entrepreneur based out of Minnesota. He is the author of the Nightblade series of fantasy novels and the founder of Waterstone Media.

Kirk's latest novel is Nightblade's Honor.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. Kirk's reply:
I have to confess that 2018 has been a great year of reading so far. There have been a few stories that stand out to me.

The first is Abaddon's Gate, by James SA Corey. This is the third book of the much-loved Expanse series, and for good reason. I was introduced to the world by the television series, but immediately knew I needed to read the books the shows are based off of. This story deserves all the success it has seen. Not only is it an imaginative romp through our solar system, the pacing and characters keep me turning pages almost as fast as my kindle will allow. I'm even more impressed that as the series grows I continue to love it. I'm three books in, and each one has been a stellar experience.

Another story I've loved recently is Daredevil: Redemption, a six comic miniseries. Last year, thanks to the gentle nudging of an editor, I began reading comics. It's been an eye-opening experience, and to me, this miniseries encapsulates why. Comics are capable of such variety, even inside of the tent pole studios like Marvel. This particular Daredevil story doesn't even have much Daredevil in it, instead focusing on a particular case Matt Murdoch is involved in. It's relentlessly dark, but I found the change of pace (from heroes punching villains) to be a fantastic exploration of the medium.

Finally, another book that piqued my interest was Skyfarer. I've been fascinated by the way in which sci-fi and fantasy have begun to merge, and this book in particular was a fun and enjoyable read.
Visit Ryan Kirk's website.

The Page 69 Test: Nightblade's Vengeance.

The Page 69 Test: Nightblade's Honor.

--Marshal Zeringue