Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Beth Cato

Beth Cato is the author of the Clockwork Dagger series from Harper Voyager, which includes her Nebula-nominated novella Wings of Sorrow and Bone. Her newest novel is Breath of Earth. She’s a Hanford, California native transplanted to the Arizona desert, where she lives with her husband, son, and requisite cat.

Recently I asked Cato about what she was reading. Her reply:
I am currently reading an astonishing nonfiction book called Real Food/Fake Food: Why You Don’t Know What You’re Eating and What You Can Do about It by Larry Olmsted. People know me for writing steampunk novels and for my Wednesday food blog called Bready or Not. I love trying new recipes, and I'm game to sample most any kind of food. This book is giving me a lot to mull over. It's delving into subjects I kind-of knew from fleeting news headlines, like how most Parmesan cheese isn't really Parmesan cheese or how prevalent seafood fraud is in restaurants and grocery stores. It's changing how I look at the origins of food and how it's certified. I went shopping today, and I was studying bottles of olive oil to see what data was included on the labels--and I shuddered at the chemical concoction known as truffle oil. It's great to read a study of these foods that explores the actual science and the history of the real foods and the fakes, and teaches consumers what to be wary of.
Visit Beth Cato's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Clockwork Dagger.

My Book, The Movie: The Clockwork Crown.

The Page 69 Test: Breath of Earth.

--Marshal Zeringue